>
R.T. Rybak: A Great Leader for a Great City Volunteer Contribute

Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Day in the Life: March 2

Great time this morning at Orchestra Hall for the first of two days of concerts for all third graders in Minneapolis Public Schools. At each of the concerts I do a reading of The Tin Forest to a really wonderful orgininal composition played by the orchestra. It's wonderful to see the kids so into the music.......an especially lively group from Bryn Mawr. I had nice talks with the kids on the way in an out....A few of them were asking me about what it was like to be Mayor. I asked them if they wanted to be one some day. "Nah," one boy said. "I want to be Michael Jackson." I wasn't quite sure where to go with that one.
-----------------------------------------------
Spoke this afternoon to a business group in south Minneapollis with another pitch for Step Up....and then did a radio interview on Step Up for WCCO....This leads up to tomorrow's press event to get more business leaders to create summer jobs this year.
--------------------------------
Jobs were also the focus this afternoon when I made a presentation to the Chancellor of the MNSCU and a board helping to decide which bonding projects the system should support at the state legislature. I was encouraging them to support their plan to build a Health training institute on the MCTC campus in downtown Minneapolis.....It amazes me that 12% of the city's population now works in health care so this training facility is a great way to build more career ladders.
---------------------------------------------
Abbott Northwestern's Heart Hospital had its grand opening tonight....really encouraging to see this big investment in Phillips, right next to the new Sears project.....The event gave me another chance to thank Allina and it's CEO Dick Pettengill for the decision to move it's headquarters to the former Sears building....and to promote our work on the new Lifesciences Corridor....the hope is to attract more medical related companies, especially medical devices and bio technology. Leaving I let myself dream about what this area will be like in 5 years....1300 or so more jobs, Global Marketplace, streetcar on the Midtown Greenway(?), people biking to work on the greenway, housing at all income levels, new businesses being launched in Plaza Verde......definately moving in the right direction.

5 Comments:

  • At October 2, 2005 at 12:29 AM, Blogger TS said…

    Nice Blog!!!   I thought I'd tell you about a site that will let give you places where
    you can make extra cash! I made over $800 last month. Not bad for not doing much. Just put in your
    zip code and up will pop up a list of places that are available. I live in a small area and found quite
    a few. MAKE MONEY NOW

     
  • At October 7, 2005 at 12:05 AM, Blogger Tom Naka said…

    Your blog is excellent - keep it up! Don't miss visiting this site about education health sexual
    . It pretty much covers education health sexual
    related stuff.

     
  • At October 25, 2005 at 4:09 AM, Blogger Gordon said…

    Just visited your blog, it's great. I have a jobs seeking website which is informative and you can find info of different job natures, hope that it will be useful in your job seeking

     
  • At November 4, 2005 at 5:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Get your website seen use our minnesota web site promotion tools to get the word out and take the work out of promotion. Resale rights available. Starting at only $6.99 get 1000's of links to your website http://www.BLGen.net

     
  • At December 29, 2005 at 6:33 PM, Blogger codog said…

    This internet thing is crazy I was looking for telescopic ladders and your blog came up in my search results. So even though it's not exactly what I was looking for your blog is still very cool.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home